Why can’t lens choice be straightforward?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,036
Re: Why can’t lens choice be straightforward?

Four new lenses with a brand new D7100 in one bite?  That is a lot of money and a lot of drastic change at one time.  I would recommend going a lot slower getting a midrange first so you have the basics covered.  When you buy a certain midrange, you might also be creating limits on your future choices.   For example, if you get the 24-70, you will probably want to later marry it with a  10-24 type wide angle.  If you get the 17-50, you be able to choose from a greater variety like the Tokina 11-16.  I bought a Sigma 17-70 os as my basic lens.  Sigma has just introduced an upgrade which is too new for many reviews.  The benefit of this lens for me was its close focusing ability.  It is not a genuine macro, but it got me close enough for about a year until I bought the real thing.  Taking a slow approach and exploring your abilities and interests as well as the gear's limitations would be my advice.  Then, you will have your own idea of what you need next.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow