Why can’t lens choice be straightforward?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
My Four choices, just for fun

tighernan wrote:

What's a good choice of lenses if you had to pick 4 for the D7100. One wide angle lens. One mid range lens. One zoom lens out to lets say 200mm and a macro lens. Now if one of these choices were to be able to double up as a macro lens that would be great if would save having an extra lens in the bag.

• Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 HSM reliable and very sharp
  • Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM OS sharp and reliable with good OS
  • Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR AFS good solid perfomance out to 300mm and very effective VR. Fast focus with SWM motor
  • Nikon 85 f/3.5 VR AFS DX Macro lens. Doubles as a good portrait class lens.

For a little less money and a little smaller, lighter size, Nikon's 55-300 VR would probably be just as good overall in the longer lens.

For me, this is a perfect DX kit for the D7100. Some might question the 85 f/3.5 for a portrait lens but it's only a smidgen from f/2.8 and won't make a hill of beans difference. It makes a great macro lens that can do double duty. I prefer the Sigma 105 f/2.8 HSM OS but it might be a little tight as a portrait lens on DX, not for me, for most people.

If this was tailored specifically for me, I'd change it up a little.

• Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 HSM or possibly the Sigma 12-24 FX lens
  • Nikon 28 f/1.8G
  • Nikon 85/1.4G or Sigma 85 f/1.4
  • Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD
  • Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO HSM Macro w/Sigma 1.4 converter

If you held me to four, I'd lose the 80-200. The 28 and 85 would be my walkaround kit. This matches my style of photography better. I just don't think it would most others. Notice, few DX choices and no VR needed. It more easily transitions to full frame FX later.

Each of these I've owned or spent enough time with to know they perform brilliantly for me. They give me that crystal clear quality I demand for work or pleasure. The only two I don't know intimately is the Fx Sigma 12-24 or the Sigma 85 f/1.4. I've used them a good bit and enough to think they'd be good for me.

Take care and have a great weekend.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow