Why can’t lens choice be straightforward?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Lens choice can be straightforward

Mully410 wrote:

Maybe the d7100 is too new for third party lenses.  I've heard that third party lens sometimes need to be sent back and "re-chipped" when new bodies come out.

Paul is right. They've all been working on DX cameras and still will. The only issues I've ever heard of is with Canon a while back and Sigma. Either the OP got it wrong or he's been told wrong.

My guess is that the Camera store doesn't carry Sigma or if they do, not in quantity, so they are pushing Nikon. I'm not sure I'd cancel my body order, but I might quit shopping there or ask for another sales person with better knowledge and experience. If it's a big box or chain store, the lack of knowledge is more understandable, but not a small specialty store.

That all said, I'm not sure the 24-70 f/2.8 is the best all around choice for a DX camera. I'd be better looking at Sigma's excellent 17-50 f/2.8 OS model. It better covers the normal zoom range of the D7100 and it's razor sharp and very fast, not to mention having OS.

I think the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 is a superb lens for a DX camera and would definately be my choice considering any other brand.

Sigma's 70-200 f/2.8 OS is considered very good for a fast short tele zoom. I'm not sure about it's macro qualities and probably wouldn't use it for that.

For Macro, I'd consider the Sigma 105 f/2.8 OS Macro lens. It's considered very good. I own the Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro and think it's the best macro lens at any price by anyone for any DSLR. Just my oppinion. Nkon's 200 f/4 AFD might be as good, but I've not tried it. Once I got that Sigma 150 my quest for a perfect longer macro was over. It also doubles as a great short fast tele for field work. I also use it for outdoor portraiture.

One more thing. There's nothing at all wrong with Nikon's kit 18-105 VR. It's inexpensive and very sharp. You'd have a hard time beating it without spending several times its price, especially bundled as a kit lens.

Good luck and have fun.

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow