External hard drive?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Re: External hard drive?

John Deerfield wrote:

Stiping [striping], or as you call it RAID 0, is indeed fast, but not that noticeable anymore these days for saving single files regardless of size, especially now we have solid state storage. I used to stripe my OS and application drives with a pair of Raptors while my data drives were a parity RAID array. I stopped when the speed advantages become not so important. Memory is so cheap these days, you're not doing much virtual swapping so there's just not the benefit there once was. The applications can fully load as can the data. With 32 gigs of mainboard RAM and a pair of multicore processors, striping is inconsequential. Besides, I'm running solid state at that level.

You might say, a the average Joe wouldn't have all that, but then he'd not have a couple of striped 10,000 RPM drives either.

I might have a difference of opinion on the speed (striped) RAID. I can easily have 500MB to 1GB files working with a D600 layered PSDs. My bottleneck isn't RAM (it could be if one doesn't have enough). It is simply how fast I can save a 500MB file to my hard drive. Using solid state storage simply isn't cost effective enough (considering how much I need hard drive space I need), yet. But my real point was that in most any consumer or even small studio situation, a redundant RAID isn't cost effective. We both agree that a redundant RAID is NOT a replacement for a back up system. In other words, one still needs a back up system in place whether their main storage is RAID or not. With a back up system in place (which will save you from hard drive failure), maintaining a redundant RAID simply isn't cost effective. I might say it would be even better to maintain a 3rd back-up and alternate the two back up drives as an "better" layer of protection rather than using that 3rd drive as part of a redundant RAID.

John, I would have to agree with you that a RAID array is not really that cost effective if all you are doing is backing up photos. The real advantage of a RAID is the ability to hot swap or quickly swap and being able to remain online. My Array is not only my first line of defence but it also houses my primary webserver. I don't want it down. Also when I'm away, I need to access and don't want downtime. If I lose a drive, I can still access it. The data is still available, photos and everything else. It's a fully independent network array plugged into a switch like everything else.

But I agree that for the average Joe, it's not so cost effective, but it's damn transperant and easy to use once up and running.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow