Any Nikon P330 experiences?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: Any Nikon P330 experiences?

tristanik wrote:

Just got the Nikon P330 and already regret that i bought it!

So why not return it if you are not happy?

I'm planning on buying one this weekend.  And based on the images I've seen, which look almost identical to the P7700, I'm sure I'll have no regrets at all.  But I'm not that picky about things like that at this price point, as long as IQ is good.  And from what I've seen it's excellent with this camera.

No external charger!

You can buy a charger and an extra battery for 8 USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EN-EL12-Battery-Charger-for-NIKON-S610-S610C-S620-S630-/360604264182?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item53f5b066f6

No wind filter when shooting video!

Wind filters work by cutting the high or low frequencies which are often present on wind noise.  All video editors from the high end like Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas Pro to the low end like iMove and Sony Vegas Home Edition have the ability to edit sound.  Using a combination of high pass, low-pass and notch filter is the very best way to eliminate wind noise.  My GH2 has a "wind filter" and all it does is muffles the sound of the wind by cutting the offending frequencies.  It's OK, but hardly eliminates the sound as well as you can do in an editor.

From what I've read, the Canon S110 has a wind filter, but I've read a few complaints that it doesn't do all that much.  I couldn't say, but I do know that I'd rather have the wider range of frame rates, 1080 / 60i, 50i, 30p, 25p and 24p that the P330 offers than the S110, which only has offers 1080 / 24p.

AF hunting when shooting video!

I've seen four P330 videos on YouTube and not one of them show any AF hunting at all.  But depending on light levels, even very expensive, high end DSLRs will hunt, especially in low-contrast scenes.

You can hear the AF noise on the video!

This is the case with pretty much all cameras.  The S110, RX100, P7700, MX-1, XZ-2, X10, et al. all have good quality condensor mics which pick up even the slightest noise.  If you are doing any serious video productions where audio is important, you are better off with a camera like the P7700 that has a hot-shoe which will allow you to mount an external shotgun microphone.  This will lessen noise picked up close to the camera.

Good luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow