Switzerland already more European than the UK?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,122
Re: Switzerland already more European than the UK?

papillon_65 wrote:

I worked in two EU-projects as a research assistant and can assure you that they hae the most painstaking procedure to account for everything, and for half-annual reporting. Wverything is also checked back again. Even in the proposal, you have to list everything and lay out to the tiniest detail what you are going to do, how much money and time in man-months it will cost. The reports are checked whether they meet the research results you have promised. Even the smallest deviation from the plan had to be justified. A pain in research, since by its very nature, you venture into the unknown. British funding bodies (NERC, BBSRC) have less stringent proceduresto the benefit of researchers.

Based on this, I assume everything kn the EU is well documented and accounted for, but it is so much paperwork that no one looks through...

Thats all well and good but perhaps someone can explain to me why their accounts haven't passed muster for the last ten years?

Many countries simply cooked they books to get admission.

I think the main drive for unification are not "left-wing" politicians, but the advantage for industry to have larger common markets with the same regulatory framework and the same currency.

Well why didn't they just leave it as an economic union then? You don't need a federal superstate to make that happen. As it happens thats exactly what successive British governments told us they were doing but guess what? they lied.

The regulatory framework needs to be put into law. Usually it is an EU law, which then is translated into national legislation.

Take the registration of new pesticides or medicines for example. Massive research has to be done to develop these products and get them registered. If every country has a different legislative and bureaucratic framework, a company would have to go though many parrallel registration procedures to have it registered in every single country. This would drive up costs. And often these different procedures would be the same, just wrapped into different national bureaucracies and multiple paperwork, because behind the regulations are universal findings of medical and environmental science.

Actually in Austria the EU is criticised in a simlar way, but from the opposite end, their fear is that environmental standards are watered down by the EU...

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow