Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 10,793
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO .. I too hate PP, but, with every camera..

karlreed wrote:

I don't have time to read all the posts, but, i wanted to add my feelings about PP.

My goal, as with my film shooting, is get shots I don't need to PP. Using my Contax G1 and Nikon F90s, (and whatever i had in the previous 30 years), I did what i could to get the best picture (not image). I used the best film I could afford, mainly in the ten years before I went digital, Agfa Optima 200iso. I dropped my film at the semi-pro lab at Greensborough Photo and Video, and, the team there always did a great job.

I concentrated on the picture..

Now, I LR4.4, iPhoto, Silkypix, Olympus, Canon and Sony's IDC, each of which has a steep learning curve.

Each also, have given me kittens when I have started to look at my first shots from any new camera, even my D700, and, especially my RX100.

Yes, the digital age is about PP, but, when I have spent A$3700 on a camera, (as I did on my D700 in 2008), I really expect that I won't have to do a lot of PP.

But, four of my friends are real PP wizards, and two are pro (the other two should be). All run Photoshop, and, tell me I should also.

What I have learned, however, is that OOC jpgs can be really quite good enough for almost anything. So, I now shoot raw plus hi-definition jpg, and load each separately into LR4.4.

So, I have the RAWs if I should need them, and, can concentrate on the picture.

-- hide signature --

karl reed

So at least you do have LR4.4.  Excuse me if you already do this but:  post process (!!) a typical jpeg or raw from a typical shoot of yours in LR4.4 and save those settings as a preset.  That way when you do "import" a folder of pics they'll all have that preset applied to them. Tweak later as needed.

And speaking of "learning curves", since I already owned Viveza 2 from Nik Software, I was able to download FOR FREE the rest of their plug-ins because of a new promotion they have currently.  And I get to learn how to use each plug-in thoroughly through tutorials on Youtube etc.  And I'm truly looking forward to it.  "Learning curve" for me=good times, really.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
WD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow