Nikon 1 V1 reliability (I'm a sucker for a discounted V1)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812
Nikon 1 V1 reliability/heating

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

But what concerns me is it runs hot.

I don't like things that run hot, and I believe they are less reliable. Just like with laptops that are fitted with more advanced graphics cards and processors, heat can sometimes become a problem, and these models often die sooner.

I have just looked this up and others have noticed it getting warm too:

Mine was getting warm by just taking a few photos indoors, not in any rapid succession and not with the flash and not by doing any video (I tried video later; the slow motion mode is impressive).

Not much can be learned about whether any of the V1s in that thread were experiencing normal heating or abnormal overheating because the usage of the different cameras is varied and unknown and the ambient temperatures they were operated in was similarly varied. It shouldn't be surprising though that the V1 would run warm because any processors that run at high speed consume more power than the much slower processors that are chosen for most P&S cameras. To be able to have such a high frame rate (60 fps), its bandwidth is greater than any of Nikon's fastest DSLRs and this is the reason that Nikon designed it to use such a large battery, the same one that's used by the D800 and some of Nikon's other DSLRs.

That you're feeling the V1 getting warm (or hot) is in part because the V1 isn't enclosed in a plastic shell like most cameras use, that act as insulators, trapping the heat inside. The metal body instead acts like a heat sink, efficiently drawing away the heat being generated inside the V1, so the circuits inside will run cooler. Silicon devices can safely run for very long periods at much higher temperatures than most people realize, often approaching the 100°C temperature of boiling water. It's not the generation of heat that's why many electronic devices can have their lives significantly shortened, it's poor cooling.

2) What are the temperature limits of electronics?
On the high end, "laboratory" operation of discrete semiconductor devices has been reported at temperatures as high as about +700°C (for a diamond Schottky diode) and 650°C (for a SiC MOSFET). Integrated circuits based on Si and GaAs have operated to +400−500°C. Si ICs have been reported to operate at +300°C for 1000 hours or longer.

Some have had reliability issues with this model.

That's true for every camera model ever made. Anyone that's concerned about their camera's reliability (whatever the model) can search the forum archives or the internet and there's no doubt that "issues" will be found. I've seen no good evidence that the V1 has any problems to be concerned about, but it's certainly possible for a few individual samples to have heat problems. If they do though it should be easy to verify, because for the camera to produce much more than the normal amounts of heat, the battery would be drained more quickly. Nikon rates the V1's battery life at 350 to 400 shots when shooting typically (from a fully charged battery in good condition). The manual lists a number of things that can shorten battery life on page 201 of the manual, so if you're getting well under 200 shots from a freshly charged battery and you're not doing most of the following things there may be a problem.

The following can reduce battery life:
• Keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway
• Repeated autofocus operations
• Taking NEF (RAW) photographs
• Slow shutter speeds
• Using optional flash or GPS units
• Using vibration reduction mode with VR lenses

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow