I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: I think Thom was right, again... exactly and want vs need

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Ignoring cost I find modern digital cameras produce much better quality than film in almost every situation.

Making a digital print is much more expensive than doing it wet because of the extortionate price of inkjet ink.

Before I got married if the washing machine broke my father bought a new one. Now I am married I buy a new washing machine about every 10 years. When I put the ring on her finger I had no idea how expensive ladies shoes were, or how often a new pair was "essential'.

Everything has a running cost, including occasional computer and software updates shooting digital.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Everything does have a cost. Photography now is to me MUCH cheaper than film, indeed why I was able to get back into it as a hobbyist.

I recently got a used D300, it is an excellent camera, and the only 'need' to upgrade will be if it breaks.

I also have three wonderful manual focus lenses, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and 105 2.5, and a macro 55 3.5 and a 75-150 3.5 for landscape and close up work.

Do I NEED more....maybe a nice wide angle zoom would help in some instances, but not necessary for me to enjoy the hobby, I already have three great primes of a good range focal length and a bit more.

But, I do not per se NEED more. I would LIKE  80-200 2.8 AF-D.

But it boils down to choice.

If one wants a D800 that is a CHOICE. Albeit pros may need it for weddings and studio..(to get the best possible resolution, rendition, whatever as state of the art) .but for that it is a depreciable work tool, just as a mechanic has his equipment.

I was somewhere recently, a flower show and a girl said, 'that hobby can get expensive'.

Maybe. But one likes a little joy in life, what do we do, sit twiddling our thumbs?

And its a darn sight cheaper than golf, car hobbies, sailing.....etc etc... Of course, if you are the type who wants a D4, D800, D600, D7100 and 60 lenses, its is not that cheap, but more power to you. That is your business.

We only have a short time in the world, we do what we must and if we can,  what we want.

I would only say, if you WANT that camrera, that lens, that golf club, whatever, within reason to not put yourself into the hole, GO FOR IT.

It is all perspective.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to. We should try to not wait for life to happen, while it passes us by.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow