Jumping ship to Canon...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
I would be Jumping ship to Canon... good cameras

rgolub wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

My suggestion is to rent one of the alternatives. See if you feel it's ok and decide what to do next.

Personally, I'd go with a D800 from a reputable dealer and not worry about the big files. They aren't much of a hindrance on modern computers.

I agree. I say the OP should switch to Canon. Worrying about file size is so trivial I think it's more like an excuse. I mean I have a fairly powerful workstation for processing, but even with my little Dell 4 gig laptop and built in video board, I have zero issues with RAW files from my D800. It really is a non-issue. I mean we're talking 40 to 50 meg images and memory is messured in gigs, not megs.

It barely slows to catch its breath combining 7 to 11 RAW files for a 32 bit HDR composite or even more in a focus stack, and it's running an old version of MS Vista. I haven't tried my Mac yet, but I don't expect a problem there either.

If someone is concerned over file size, let them go to a Canon. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but... Go down in resolution because you're afraid of file size in this day and age of dirt cheap memory and storage.

Maybe there are people still out there shooting Jpegs and using Windows Paint and a Windows 98 machine with half a gig of memory. Now there would be a problem. LOL

But I say all in all, if the OP prefers the Canon 5D MkIII have at it. It's a good camera. Why's he in the Nikon forum when he should be out there getting used to it in the field? Just buy it. If I thought Canon made a better camera and better glass, I'd be shooting Canon right now. When you work for a living and these are your tools, you get the best you need and can afford. For me, that's NIkon. Many others obviously feel differently. That's why there are both companies.

PS- I reread the above and it sounds a bit snarky. I don't intend it to. I mean it as real support for the OP to get a Canon if he thinks it will servie him better.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow