Best Hard Drive Option for new MacMini

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adjuster Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Best Hard Drive Option for new MacMini

Here is what i would do (and did) to get the most flexibility:

Buy the 2.3 or 2.6 (if avail) i7 refurbished Mac mini. Or buy a new one with an educational or NAPP discount

Get the MacSales miniStack ($78 with no drive) and load it with a 7200rpm 3tb or whatever drive. Connect it with a usb3 cable. Get another miniStack for backup if you like.

Get a MacSales SSD (or whatever SSD you can find at a cheaper price with the SandForce controller). I got a real deal on one at Microcenter for a 240gb ssd. Put it in a FirmTek miniSwap/U3 drive and connect it to the Mac mini with a usb 3 cable. (Check out the bare feats review http://barefeats.com/hard168.html). Install the operating system and software on the SSD. According to what I have read, the external drive is as fast as the Apple internal SSD.

Load it with 16gb memory from MacSales.

Consider using the internal 1tb drive as a scratch disk.

Prepare to fly. This thing absolutely rocks. Now you have all the flexibility in the world to grow and you don't have to crack open the case to add a slow 2.5 hard drive.

Hope that this helps. I have been running this configuration for five months without a problem (knock on wood, read hard now).

Adjuster's gear list:Adjuster's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow