7D mk2: apsc’s last stand?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 1,835
Re: 70D...are we still getting it soon ?

howardroark wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

If Canon has the technology to come out with a 70D with a sensor that rivals the performance of the 5D3, now is the time. If they somehow delay, dumb down, or try to continue with the same old 18 mpix sensor, I suspect they need not worry about losing 5D3 sales. They will be losing to Nikon. They need to come out with the best they can for all models including making a serious upgrade on the 5d sensors.

Where did this rumor come from? Even if the new APS-C sensor has the same number of pixels as the 5DMarkIII there is no way it will have the same or similar image quality as a full frame sensor. Zero. Not even close. Nobody has produced a sensor with such small pixel pitch that can come close to the low noise that full frame sensors are capable of.

Nonsense. Consider the D800 with 4.88 micron pixels. A APS-C sensor with those pixels would have 14 Mp and DX size 15 Mp and same noise. And more fps. I want at least 24 Mp, so do not expect images that clean. Or maybe I do:

Photokina 2010 - Madison Photo newsletter:
"Canon also showed images taken with their new 120 Megapixel sensor. One image filled a wall and no trace of digital noise could be seen. It was absolutely amazing."

That is APS-H or 76 Mp APS-C  or 195 Mp FF. Sensor development moves on.

We are Canon users and we have a vested interest in seeing Canon do well. That could be biasing our view. Specs for the new Nikons look awfully good. Maybe the Nikons have some bugs regarding focus or sensor dust. I don't know, but in the past Canon has had plenty of similar problems. Those problems will be fixed and the cameras will continue to improve.

The D7100 sensor in a 7D body would be good. Most D300 users do not want D7100 but D400 with D7100 sensor.

Dan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow