7D mk2: apsc’s last stand?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
altair8800 Senior Member • Posts: 1,867
Re: APS-C's last stand? Hardly

javiair wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

javiair wrote:

If you were the CEO of Canon would you make the 7D II? I have a Nikon and really want the 7D II if it ever comes out, but from a business stand point it wont make sense. You would have to upgrade the 7D with new technology but keep it at a price that is not close to the Full Frame 6D but not so expensive that the D7100 would seem more attractive. Why price a 7D at $1800 when for only $200 more you can get yourself a Full Frame camera?

Buy a 6D Full Frame Rebel equivalent? For wildlife with 7D, I crop most images. Cropped to 7D size, the 6D has less than 8 Mp and only 4 fps vs 8 fps. If I wanted FF, I would buy 1DX.

A full frame camera owner would make spend money because the L series lenses and full frame lenses are more expensive and in the long run its possible that a 6D owner would spend more than a 7D owner.

A 6D owner would NOT spend more than this 7D owner on long lenses. Short lenses, probably.

Youll have to make a camera with specs that are slightly better than the D7100 and price it at $1300-$1400 or maybe even $1500. That way if you want to make a jump to Full Frame, its a $500-$600 jump and not a $200 hop. with the T5i priced around $800, continue with the 40,50,60D series and make the 70D with good specs and price it around $1300-$1400. I feel that way, if you do make the jump to Full Frame, you feel like you are in a diffent class of photographer.

I think the price of any of those is not relevant to 7DII.

I hope I am 100% wrong and they do make the 7D II, Id gladly sell my Nikon DX gear for the 7D but the D7100 looks really attractive to me.

If I had Nikon DX cameras and long lenses (not DX), I would wait for the D400. In fact, if the 7DII is not a substantial upgrade, I will look at the D400. For you, why not the D600?

Dan

Dan, I think Im lost, A 6D has less than 8mp? I thought it had nearly 21Mp. Im not too familiar with Canons, so I dont know what exactly is ment by that.

The 6D sensor is 35 x 24 mm and the 7D sensor is 22.3 x 14.9 mm. Since I crop most bird and wildlife images with the 7D , with the same lens, I would have to crop the 6D image to less than  22.3 x 14.9 mm. With the 6D pixel size of 6.58 microns, that is less than 8 Mp left out of 20 Mp.

And I agree that the 4 fps is lousy compared to the 8 fps and Im kind of suprised at the trend of having more advanced cameras shooting as a slower FPS. And I think pricing would be relevant. If you were out to make money why would you produce a Crop camera and price it as $2100 and have a Entry level Full frame for about the same price?

"Entry level Full frame" is the problem. I want pro or semi-pro camera with much higher pixel density than 6D or 1Dx, pro AF and at least 8 fps. Higher pixel density is the key. At 7D pixel density, full frame would be 46 Mp. I expect the 7DII to have much higher pixel density than 7D. I expect to pay semi-pro price for semi-pro camera. There is no Full frame camera with the required higher pixel density.

Wouldnt you want to guide your consumer to the overall more expensive option? Now as far as spending money in the long run, I did say "its possible" because in the long run, talking years here, lenses for crop sensors are generally cheaper than the L series lenses. Again, Im not familiar with Canon system, but I know Nikon you can have full fram lenses on DX cameras, but you cant do that with Canon. If Im wrong, please tell me so I can learn.

All of the Canon long lenses (400mm or more) are L series lenses (FF) which can be used on all Canon cameras. The only EF-s (APS-C only) lens I have is the kit lens and it is good, but too short for wildlife.

And I do have Nikon, but I dont think that Nikon would produce the D400 for the same reason I dont think Canon would produce the 7d II. With the introduction of the D600 at $2000 I would think Nikon is looking to the long term prospect of a full frame owner, perhaps moving up to the D800 or beyond as with Canon trying to get you to buy the 6d and then the 5d and so on..

Check in Pro DX forum to see how many want and expect the D400 for the same reasons we want 7DII.

And you said if you wanted full frame, you would by the 1dx. I wish I could say that and make that happen, but I dont think that the average enthusiast has $6000 laying around, if I had that kind of money, I would probably get the 5d and get some great lenses. But my bank account wont let me.

Of course, just an opinion, just thinking if I was the CEO of either company making D400 or the 7d II would not make sense. Again, I hope Im 100% wrong and if they do make the D400 and or the 7D please feel free to say "told you so" I would be happy to hear that as I go to the store and look for a new camera

Jav

Here is what Canon Professional Network said about the 7D when it came out:

"The Canon EOS 7D DSLR was the first product to emerge from an ongoing Canon research project talking to thousands of photographers around the world about their wants and needs. The 18 Megapixel EOS 7D is a versatile and customisable DSLR that blends new technologies with advanced specifications previously only seen in EOS-1 series cameras."

They asked photographers about their wants and needs, not price range. Hope this is true. The EOS-1 series cameras are for pros and the 7D has most of their features, although slightly reduced in some cases as it is much lower priced.

Dan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow