Jumping ship to Canon...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
RikD800 Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Jumping ship to Canon...

I'm a Nikon shooter (D700/D3s & D4) and have also just picked up a 5D MKIII. Yes, the new Nikons have a better sensor particularly when pushing shadows, but I've also found the Canon is capable of withstanding quite a lot of manipulation in post. So far I'm pretty pleased with the dynamic range of the Canon, its far from the terrible sensor that some people claim it to be. I've done quite a few side by side tests with my various Nikons and the 5D and in most situations there isn't that much difference in IQ. I've been able to push shadows without the files falling apart.

Two big advantages of the Canon for me are the AF and silent shutter. The auto focus is better than any of my Nikons. It grabs focus accurately and quickly, without any chatter or hesitation. It nails focus in a way that none of the Nikons do. I'm quite amazed by it. And of course it also has 61 focus points spread throughout the view finder.

For event shooters, the silent shutter is worth the money alone. It's fantastic. I think the D600 comes close, but the other Nikons are no where near as quiet even in the comedy 'quiet' mode.

So somehow you need to pick out which features are important to you as all cameras have pros and cons. As far as small bodies are concerned I think the 5D MKIII is the most versatile camera on offer at the moment (with the D700 next). All IMHO

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
McJ
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow