Negative Voting DESTROYS "Challenges"

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Deleted pending purge Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Negative Voting DESTROYS "Challenges"

proef wrote:

I haven't realized that anything less than 2.5 stars was a "negative" vote. I've assumed the stars were cumulative, and the entry with the most stars won.

As to "sandbagging", I've given a half star vote when the entry did not follow the rules. For example, the "chair" challenge rules stipulated no closeups of chairs -- only chairs placed within a scene would qualify. Yet there were a number of chair closeups that were not DQ'd.

Finally. a question. How does not voting on an entry within a challenge in which one votes for other entries affect the score of the "unvoted" entry?

There are no negative votes, some just enjoy calling it that, gods know why.

But many people are confused by the voting scale, as the same lowest vote is supposed to be cast for inappropriate entry (not fitting the Challenge) and also for the low-quality entry that fits.

Some would cast a half-star because they think an image is too common to deserve any quality analysis - which is wrong. Some would downvote other people's entries thinking that it would make their own photography better. That is wrong too. And then there are those who cast a half-star just everywhere, thinking... Gods know if, how, and what they're thinking, but voting they aren't.

The half-star punishment for an entry that does not fit the Challenge theme and/or rules is actually pampering the lazy, inept host who should have thrown such entries out of Challenge before it entered its Voting phase. And we do have such hosts, who simply refuse to undeerstand their purpose and duties. Funnywise, for some uncanny reason, DPR still keeps them hosting...

As to your question, there are several opinions, all in the theoretical (unexplained) area.

Some people mantain the Bayesian system will take into account the position of that entrant's averaging curve and use such values to assign the place even when an entry does not receive any votes. Others think that all math is applied only within the certain Challenge, with no regard to any previous results or placements. If that's the case, then there is absolutely no use of the stats derived from personal results.

This is the reason I keep proposing all-vote-on-all-entries and an additive system. This would also annihilate tendencious voting, and half of host's nightmares would be removed.

-- hide signature --

Fil

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow