Jumping ship to Canon...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder Senior Member • Posts: 2,083
More D600

I couldn't agree more. I went from a D200 to a D7000 to a D600, and never looked back. I've shot hundreds of photos with the D600, many of them studio shots at small apertures on a white background. I have yet to see a single dust spot, and even if I did, I'm perfectly capable of cleaning the sensor.

Several years ago, I went from Nikon to Canon (D30 -> D60 -> EOS-10D), but eventually came back to Nikon. They are both fine systems, each with its own advantages. The biggest difference to me is that Nikon's wireless flash system (at least back a couple of years ago) is much easier to use than Canon's.

Since the OP is not invested in either system, it really comes down to a coin toss. But I wouldn't rule out the D600 because of the dust issue. While I don't doubt that many people have had problems with dust and/or oil, It is simply a non-issue for many D600 users.

I looked very seriously at the 5D III when looking for a FF camera to move up to from my Sony a580. Sony wasn't an option because I didn't like the EVF, and definitely wouldn't want to tolerate one in a $2000+ camera. The 5D III caught my eye because I shot a lot of sports, and it's specifications seemed tailored to that. However, I ended up getting the D600 because:

Advantages of the Nikon mount itself (very important if I'm staying in the system, because these advantages will carry over to later models):

• Ability to mount DX lenses on FX cameras, and ability to disable auto DX cropping if desired
  • Compatibility across the manual focus barrier

D600 advantages:

• Better DR than Canon sensors (or pretty much everything else around - only the D800 can match it)
  • Better resolution than Canon. 22 vs 24 MP is not a big difference, but it seems like the Canon has a really heavy AA filter, making the files come out quite soft.
  • Built in flash for emergencies
  • Dual SD card slots, and support for UHS-1 SD cards, so I don't have to manage two different types of cards (5D III uses SD and CF, and has no UHS-1 support)
  • About $1000 cheaper. That's an extra high quality lens right there - a lens that will stay relevant far longer than the camera.

D600 disadvantages, and why I overlooked them:

• Dust. I didn't know about it, but it turned out to be a complete non-issue. I do most of my shooting (sports, action) wide open, so I never see dust. When I heard about the issue, wet cleaning turned out to be far easier than I thought. My only concern is Nikon's attitude towards the issue. The issue itself...isn't an issue because it's nearly invisible in pictures and is easily user-solvable.
  • AF. The 5D III has better AF coverage, and probably better AF performance. But the D600's system will hold its own in most scenarios. 39 points is plenty, and allows the camera to offer the tracking advantages that come with having a dense AF area.
  • Slower framerate: 5.5 fps vs. the 5D III's 6 fps. But in the end, the difference looked small and I knew I could handle fast sports action at 5 fps already.
  • 5D III holds on to color better when pushed over ISO 12800: I didn't know when I got the D600, but I can count on one hand the number of times I had to hit ISO 25600...

In the end, I think you'll be better served with the D600. The superior sensor, lower price, and generally comparable feature set make it a no brainer, and IMO completely outweigh the dust issue. I think the severity of the dust issue is really overblown. It definitely offers a lot more value. It's 90-100% of the capability (depending on how you look at it), for 60% of the price.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
McJ
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow