how to test a speedlight for issues?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Vegasluvr Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Re: how to test a speedlight for issues?

When the 540EZ flashes were top of the line, Canon reps told me not to shoot the flashes in multiple bursts. I used to fire them like 10 repeated shots at a time and I did get wide variances of exposures. Canon tech reps told me this is normal because the circuitry has to have time to recover.

I started firing my flashes at bursts of 3-4 maximum from then on. I told Canon they should design the hot shoe and flash boards to handle extensive flash firings but they said the capacitor would melt the circuit boards.

When I need to fire my flashes repeatedly I have a few sets of batteries ready and just switch them out but you also have to let the flash rest between firings. I know it is a hassle but those flashes weren't designed to fire off shots like a Speedotron or Metz.

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow