85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,012
Re: 85mm 1.8G is the best on a D800

Thanks. I think words like "weight" and "size" are easily understood as criteria. "Cool" vs. "Warm" is usually somewhat meaningful, though subject to interpretation. Words like "clinical," "cinematic," "honest," "real," and "unflinching" are just subjective adjectives which clearly mean something different to everyone who hears them. I understand the desire to use these and other adjectives in describing our favorite tools, but lenses are, after all, inanimate objects, and hardly capable of emotions and judgments. In the context of a discussion claiming that a particular lens is "best," what do they do except say "I'm happy with my choice of this lens"?

I'll put up a couple of portraits with the 85 f/1.4g tomorrow, if I get permission from my subjects. But I won't make any claim that I know the lens is "best." I bought it for subjective reasons, and I'm still learning to use it.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow