about to buy the Nikon D800e w/ Nikkor 24-70 f2.8

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
CeleryBeats
CeleryBeats Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Re: about to buy the Nikon D800e w/ Nikkor 24-70 f2.8

T O Shooter wrote:

With that said I still love the D800. For anything that doesn't move. Just can't trust it for BIF, animals in motion, etc.

I don't agree. The D800's focusing system is very advanced and adequate for moving subjects.

From dpreview:

"While the D800 may lack the fast shooting rate of Nikon's flagship D4, it does inherit that camera's 51-point area AF system, which performs admirably in a range of indoor and outdoor scenes. The D800's low light focusing ability is impressive, among the better performing cameras we've seen. Anyone moving up to the D800 from an entry level DSLR will notice a significant improvement in this regard. During our time spent shooting with the camera we experienced far more hits than misses with regard to focus accuracy."

"The D800 can be used quite successfully to track focus on moving subjects when you're shooting in a continuous drive mode. We had the most consistent success by using the 3-D tracking AF-area mode. With this setup, the camera utilizes color information from the subject that occupies your chosen AF point at the time you first acquire focus, and attempts to track the subject as it moves within the AF acquisition portion of the frame."

"As you can see, the initial image shows AF acquisition (highlighted in red) on the athlete's jersey. In the following frames the camera locks on to the jersey, shifting the focus point as it detects movement. The 100% crops (inset above) from each frame show that with the athlete's face within the same depth of field as her jersey, the D800 has successfully acquired sharp focus in three of the four frames, with Frame 3 still exhibiting a usable degree of sharpness at magnifications below the pixel level view."

End quote.

That basicly reflects my own experience as well. All other professional reviews state basicly the same on the internet. I'd take more credit from those then from any other person on forums.

Edited by moderator

CeleryBeats's gear list:CeleryBeats's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-5 Sony a6300 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow