x100s field curvature

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
slunce Regular Member • Posts: 187
x100s field curvature

Hello,

As a former x100 owner I can't really ignore the x100s and I wandered into the samples section to review the photos. I immediately noticed great field curvature which was bugging me when I had the x100. I was probably stupid of me to hope for this to be "fixed" in x100s since it is the same lens design.

I notice because I do landscapes and with x100 I had sharp center and one side of the photo with the other side being blurred (on 3 different bodies). I thought it was lens but later found out it rather was field curvature. Even on F8.

When I wanted that side to be sharp too, I had to move the AF box to that side, then the contrast detect AF would move the focus so that side indeed got sharp, sometimes at the cost of the nearest foreground being not as sharp in the middle.

This techniques corresponds with the suspicion of the field curvature being there and not small.

I do not want to criticize the camera (I am actually thinking of buying it), I just wonder if other people notice and work around it in the same way as I did.

On my samples, the curvature was apparent on one side more than on the other, likely due to lens misalignment. On the dpreview samples, it seems to be centered which is better.

Notice how the background behind between the horses is sharp all the way to infinity, then look at the edges.

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2474377.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1363973175&Signature=%2f9Zzp1TlojbNzS%2b%2bthmgsm4cG%2bA%3d

This is not as ideal example, but the same thing can be noticed there.

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2474378.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1363973097&Signature=7%2f1WzPM5dddnLCchRH9kQwrtN%2fE%3d

I found out, that to maximize DOF for landscape pictures I always had to move the AF box to the side getting blurred due to field curvature and let it focus on there.

Most of the time when I focused on infinity in the center of the frame the photo was greatly sharp except that edge. Focusing on that edge usually brought almost all of the frame into focus, except as I said before, extreme foreground in the center. Like the curvature was conical and by gaining infinity and edges at the same time you loose it in the center for shortest distances.

You can obviously argue that I was using the camera for wrong purpose where I might partly agree But anyway, I wonder what your experiences are.

Best Regards and thanks for reading,

Petr

-- hide signature --

--

www.sluncephotography.com

www.pbase.com/slunce

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow