Conundrum...FZ200, G5 with zoom lens, stick with what I have...

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Ruth Lipnick
Ruth Lipnick Regular Member • Posts: 287
Conundrum...FZ200, G5 with zoom lens, stick with what I have...

Help, please. I'm very happy with my Nikon 5100 and 18-200 Nikon lens for all-purpose, all-around camera. Not a lot of experience but getting excellent results.

We're planning a safari and would need a longer zoom, preferably a lighter set up...can't carry/handle a lot of weight.

So...

after seeing a friend's Leica V4, started thinking the FZ200 was my dream come true (600 zoom, 2.8). Followed the forum, admired the images, got all hung up on it.

Went to B&H today to purchase it for a special birthday (big number) gift to myself ($429 sale ends 3/23) and as soon as I explained that I'm interested in superior IQ and have been using a DSLR, salesman said I won't be happy. Offered to let me have it for a month and return.

Next step, explained my dilemma to the DSLR dept. Helpful salesperson suggested the G5 with kit lens AND Lumix Vario 100-300 lens (is this really equivalent 600?) Camera is light, lens not as smooth as my Nikon. How are the results? Why hasn't dpreview given complete review of this yet?

Weirdo that I am, I took both cameras...30 days to return. Very busy with work and won't have an awful lot of time to experiment. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow