BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: Why can't Windows just work?

jamesdak wrote:

Gary Coombs wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

skyglider wrote:

• Buy Win8.
  • Install the free "Classic Shell".
  • In Classic Shell, disable "Active Corners".
  • Run in desktop mode with the Classic Shell and it will behave like Win7.
  • Problem solved.

That is a lot of trouble.

You forgot other mandatory steps, such as install antivirus and remove crapware. All of this wastes at least a day of your time.

Why can't Windows work right out of the box, like Mac OS X or the most popular Linux distros?

The PC Vendors install the crapware. I bought my Windows 8 machine from the Microsoft Store in Atlanta and at the Microsoft Store they do a Microsoft Signature software install that does not install any crapware whatsoever. It is a pure Windows 8 operating system with nothing else other than of course any hardware drivers that are needed.

BTW, I've had my Windows 8 system since November and after an initial frustrating learning week I now love it. You'll never get me to downgrade back to Windows 7.

I don't use any of the Start Menu add-on's. After you learn to use Windows 8 they really aren't necessary and only get in the way.

Love to hear how you run two windows (you know it is windows after all) side by side with windows 8 so I can move data easily from one application to another...

launch the applications from the windows 8 desktop...everything will behave like windows 7. There's an icon on the start screen to take you there.

-- hide signature --

Long live the HMS Beagle Critiques always welcome!

Exactly - Win8 is not taking away, what you were giving in Win7, it's offering you extra - the Metro with its apps - use it if you want to, I don't very much, or don't.

I use Start8, so the Metro dosn't bother me, find it a Little strange, that Microsoft do not offer that possibility, but it's only $5.

BirgerH

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow