Canon is about to launch super small DSLR. Implications for next Oly E?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Philly Senior Member • Posts: 1,117
Canon is about to launch super small DSLR. Implications for next Oly E?

http://photorumors.com/2013/03/19/first-pictures-of-the-upcoming-canon-eos-kiss-x7-dslr-camera/#more-40282

I'm surprised no one brought this up here, yet.  But the rumored new Canon will be significantly lighter than the Oly E620--370g vs. 470g (without batteries).

I guess the new Oly E has already been designed and is launching this year regardless of the new competitive landscape.  I still have 4/3 lenses that I hope I can use on a new Oly body and would like Olympus to do well.  I'm hoping that the new "EOS-b" can generate new interest in small sized DSLR and that could help Oly--if the new E is on the small size, like an E-520 size.  Then Oly would have a high end, small-size offering that could possibly coattail off Canon's marketing for the EOS-b.

Olympus has always taken pride in its miniaturization capabilities.  I believe the original E-1 was marketed as a small, professional system--though the camera itself wasn't that small.  I still remember what a breakthrough design the E-410 was, when it appeared.  I hope Olympus can deliver an E-520 form factor with the new high end E.  I know others would disagree on this.

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 (EVOLT E-520) Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eaa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow