Decision time: GH3 or LX7 (for trip)

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
gak44 Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Decision time: GH3 or LX7 (for trip)

Unless you want to make large prints I would go with the LX7.

Last year we spent three weeks in Italy and packing space was at a premium. I took a Canon P&S with a 24mm equiv. f2.0 lens instead of an SLR and never regretted it. Pick up a travel zoom P&S for back-up and the occasional long shot (I use a Canon SX260, but there are many other good ones).  The LX7 can fit in many shirt pockets giving you the sort of freedom that carrying any sort of bag cannot match.

The quality of the Italy photos and the freedom from lugging a large camera around were instrumental in my deciding to sell my EOS kit and buy into M43 (G5, GX1 and several lenses), plus an LX7 for exactly the sort of travel you are undertaking. For travel, the M43 kit is reserved for trips where wildlife photography will be important - like the American west, Southern Africa or a recent trip to GA and SC where I wanted to photograph birds and gators in wildlife sanctuaries.

gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow