Camera bags vs backpacks

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
BackroadsTraveler
BackroadsTraveler Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: Camera bags vs backpacks

I bought a Lowepro Vertex 200 for my wife (at her request). It does have a rain cover, and is very well made.  We find we can put almost all our gear in her Lowepro and use it for an airline carry-on. It is very spacious. The down side is that when loaded to even less than capacity, it is very heavy. Heavier than I'd be comfortable with on a photography day-trek. Consequently, it gets used for transport, then we go to something smaller when actually hiking about.  We have a Lowepro sling style bag, but it is too small to handle photo gear and other essentials.

The best compromise I've found so far is this Promaster backpack-

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=ADVENTUREPK

I found one while traveling for $129 and bought it because I liked the looks of it. It has been a near perfect compromise. I can get all my necessary gear (body with 2-3 lenses) for a hour or day outing, plus room for water, snacks, etc.  It has room to accommodate my big Sigma 150-500, but that gets to be on the heavy side for a long outing. It does not have a rain cover, but is water resistant, and the zippers seem to be of high enough quality to keep dust out.  I really like this backpack. My wife even admits that if she'd seen the Promaster first, she may have wanted one rather than her (more expensive!) Lowepro.

-- hide signature --

BRT

BackroadsTraveler's gear list:BackroadsTraveler's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow