MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,705
Re: Now I really need help.

ROFLOL wrote:

I took the advise and downloaded trial versions go A3 and LR4. The first thing I wanted to compare was lens distortion. I took a few Raw + Jpeg of my computer keyboard @ 18mm (24ff). Got barrel distortion in Raw.

Aperture 3: Jpegs (in camera corrected) Raw had barrel distortion. I can't find any way in A3 to correct this. Can this correction be done in A3?

LR4: Jpegs (in camera corrected). Raw had barrel distortion. I found "Lens Profiles" with RX-1 and a few E mounts but not the lens I had used. I used my A77 with the kit 16-50 2.8 for this test.

Where would I find additional profiles for NEX-6 & A77 lenses ?

There are plug-ins for Aperture 3 where you can do lens corrections, but then the RAW files gets converted to TIFF as I recall it. This os not optimal in my opinion.

Now I have LR 4.4 running on MAC, and I feel it is faster to load the RAW files and the noise reduction is MUCH better than Aperture. Also CA can be a little hard to remove on Aperture, not sure how much better LR is here.

Aperture seriously need a big update in my opinion, but if I didn't use the 18-200LE and only used my nice prime lenses and did not need noise reduction (which I do!), then I wouldn't have made the jump to LR. Yes, the clarity slider in LR is also quite nice(!)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
bzx
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow