7D mk2: apsc’s last stand?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,414
Re: APS-C's last stand? Hardly

jrkliny wrote:

meland wrote:

..... The size of the cameras are actually not so different........

I agree that the FF camera bodies like the 5DIII can be only a bit larger than APS-C camera bodies. There seems to be a bigger difference in lenses.

For example I shoot lots of ultra wide shots. My 10-22 has a modest weight and size and price. Compare it with the FF equivalent, the 16-35. Yikes, way more expensive. As another example, I shoot lots of closeups and macros. I love my 60/f2 macro. It is small, light, and low cost. I carry it with me most of the time even when doing long distance hikes. The FF equivalent, 100 mm macro, is much bigger and heavier and over twice the cost. Finally I also shoot telephoto. We all know that story. It gets impossibly expensive for a FF lens to match what many of us can afford for an APS-C telephoto lens.

I often walk around with my standard 15-85, and a 10-22, and my 60 macro. Sometimes I also carry my 55-250, or I leave behind one or more of the other lenses and carry my 100-400. First try to pay for the FF equivalent lenses. Then try to carry them around. No thanks.

If we are talking about diminishing returns for size, weight and cost, then FF cameras should be the first to become obsolete and then APS-C.

In general, I agree with your points here, but the example of the 16-35 as the FF equivalent of the 10-22 is a bit misleading. It does give the closest equivalent FOV, but the 17-40 is not far off, and is around the same price as the 10-22. It's also a similar size and weight. I know that, if I get a FF camera, I will get the 17-40, not the 16-35, as my ultra-wide.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow