Aleo Veuliah wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Why rub salt to the wound.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

This similar to the humm and other issues reported on the OMD, that in fact they are no issues, it is just like the cameras work, not defects.

Olympus addressed the hum with a firmware update. Now it only is present when focusing.

Did not knew about that. Thanks for informing.

There are more people saying the EVF is fine. I have tried one for many hours and the EVF was perfect, I tried an OMD and the humm is hardly noticeable and it is the way IBIS works.

The fact that it isn't a problem for most people doesn't mean it isn't a problem for some.

True, but the brands can not please all. If it is really an issue I think that most be discussed.

Imo the moderators should use as much restraint as possible when responding to comments that bother them. Otherwise, people could feel that there is a Big Brother mentality governing this forum.

When I post I tell my opinion, I never mix my opinion with the moderation actions. And for what I know none of the moderators here do that. If I don't like or don't share the same opinion I just tell like any other user, other times I don't even reply.

So I think that is not fair to say that about moderation here.

I agree that the moderators generally do a very good job. However, I'm sure you will also agree that no one is perfect. Imo, the moderation comes across as being heavy handed when one moderator titles his comment ENOUGH with the EVF debate and a second moderator adds that he agrees. 

I understand your concern Michael, It looks strange indeed, but it was not on purpose, I think that this would happen if me and Jaly were just users, it was a coincidence that I agreed with her. If it was another user to say the same I would put the agree the same waybecause it was my opinion.

I think the Enough that Jalywol posted was not a moderation thing, it is her opinion.

Perhaps you could explain how your moderation actions are not based on your opinions. When you delete a post, I assume that it is because your opinion, or the opinions of those who set the guidelines for moderation, is that it is abusive, trolling, or otherwise inappropriate. There is obviously nothing wrong with this. No matter how much we try to be objective and rational when making decisions, those decisions are based on values and opinions which are by nature subjective.

I can assure you that my moderation actions are never biased. First because that is not fair, and second because I am have not biased opinions here, I like both Olympus and Panasonic as many know already. (I almost like all brands, they provide us good gear to use)

I don't know if all forum moderators are like I am, but at least here on the Micro 4/3 forum I have not seen biased actions by the other moderators.

I think our disagreement here is one of semantics. I am not claiming that you or the other moderators are making consciously biased moderation decisions. However, the fact remains that all of us have unconscious biases than influence our decisions. There is an extensive body of research showing that unconscious values and biases make us imperfect decisions makers. Daniel Kahneman won the Nobel prize in economics in 2002 for his research on how unconscious biases and heuristics affect our judgments and decisions.

You might find the following talk find Kahneman interesting:

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/daniel-kahneman-on-the-trap-of-thinking-that-we-know/

Going to read.

While you may prefer to call you moderation decisions actions, the fact remains that your actions are the result of your judgments. In regard to moderation, I hope you don't believe that every moderator on DPR would make the same action in response to every post. Some posts are clearly very inappropriate and I'm sure that there would be unanimous agreement that they should be deleted. However, the appropriateness/inappropriateness of other posts is less clearcut and I think it is reasonable to assume that there might be some disagreements about whether a post should be deleted. The fact that reasonable people can disagree means that decisions are not perfectly objective. In other words, your actions are based on your opinions about the whether posts are inappropriate.

You might also be interested to know that there is a website where you can find out what unconscious biases you have. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

Nice test site. Thanks.

I think people need to understand that moderators can post their opinions like users do. And that we are not cops just wanting to delete threads and post's.

I agree. However, I also think moderators need to be aware that their status has an influence on others. Thus, I think moderators have an added responsibility to try their best to phrase their comments in a manner that makes it clear they are not acting in their capacity as moderators. Therefore, I continue to think that Jolywol's post and your follow-up should have been stated more diplomatically.

Yes, it was just a misunderstanding that I hope now is clear.

What do you think about DPR providing a way for us to evaluate the moderators? I think this would give you useful feedback about what we like and don't like.

That evaluation is done by sending feedback, or by a PM to the Admins. For now it is the only way. I make some suggestions from time to time and I will remember that one. I have just made one to the Admins in general about putting a note on the forum rules, about the cascading delete of the sub-post's on a post deleted.

Note: One thing that I think that Dpreview must put as a note to inform on the forum rules is that if a post is deleted the other sub post's related to the post deleted, are also deleted. Dpreview made this way to avoid unnecessary discussions take space on he thread's.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow