sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Re: Opinion/Bias ruined the review.

texinwien wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Dave Sanders wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Dave Sanders wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Since the GH3 is very customizable, for many easy to use, I think he let his bias take over the review. It is pretty obvious.

For the record, I think the GH3 is much easier to hold and use than the E-M5 and even NEX7, but that is only an opinion too. I would say for anyone shooting stills only, go for the E-M5.

This is almost comical. It's OK for you to have a stated preference but not him? He loves the IQ, dislikes the ergonomics. Sorry, is he not allowed to talk of the GH3 in anything but hushed tones and glowing praise? You love to hold and use your GH3 in comparison to the E-M5...how is that any different than what he said?

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Either you don't understand that my complaint is he is passing off his opinion as fact, or you missed where I said about my comments, "only an opinion too".

No, I'm pretty sure I got exactly what you said as you've just repeated it. Ming Thein is passing off his opinion as opinion, just as you are. He doesn't like the ergonomics of the camera. That is his main complaint, and it is his subjective opinion.

Except he goes out of his way to say things like, "it’s not a personal bias".

It's possible to have an opinion that is not based on personal bias. Have you ever considered that option?

He keeps trying to pass off option as fact.

Most reviews contain a mix of fact and opinion - just look at movie or book reviews, for instance. Reviewers should be careful not to make any false statements about the items they're reviewing, but it's generally accepted and expected that a reviewer will mention some of his personal, subjective opinions on the reviewed items.

tex

I agree with Tex on this one, while disagreeing respectfully with the conclusion of the review.

Reviewers are allowed to have a view. It might be he simply didn't like the camera or he would have done if he hadn't used the E-M5.

Therefore, the overall outcome might be that he didn't rate the camera based on that view. I happen to think both the E-M5 and the GH3 are "marmite" cameras, people either love them or hate them. If he were making stuff up, that would be something, but if he isn't, he just has an opinion some people here disagree with. I love my GH3 (as do many others here), Ming Thein didn't like the one he tested. Neither of those things is the end of the world...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow