NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Re: Opinion/Bias ruined the review.

Just Having Fun wrote:

Dave Sanders wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Dave Sanders wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Since the GH3 is very customizable, for many easy to use, I think he let his bias take over the review. It is pretty obvious.

For the record, I think the GH3 is much easier to hold and use than the E-M5 and even NEX7, but that is only an opinion too. I would say for anyone shooting stills only, go for the E-M5.

This is almost comical. It's OK for you to have a stated preference but not him? He loves the IQ, dislikes the ergonomics. Sorry, is he not allowed to talk of the GH3 in anything but hushed tones and glowing praise? You love to hold and use your GH3 in comparison to the E-M5...how is that any different than what he said?

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Either you don't understand that my complaint is he is passing off his opinion as fact, or you missed where I said about my comments, "only an opinion too".

No, I'm pretty sure I got exactly what you said as you've just repeated it. Ming Thein is passing off his opinion as opinion, just as you are. He doesn't like the ergonomics of the camera. That is his main complaint, and it is his subjective opinion.

Except he goes out of his way to say things like, "it’s not a personal bias". He keeps trying to pass off option as fact.

He says only once that it's "not a personal bias" and that he likes some other Panny products.

He doesn't pass off opinion as fact. It's pretty clear that the review is his subjective impression of the GH3. That's what reviews are. That's what reviewers do. They offer their opinions of things.

Again, he clearly has bias and his biggest complaints were subjective.

You don't say. And yes, he's biased: biased towards things he likes to use.

Then why does he say, "it’s not a personal bias"?

He makes a point of saying that he's not biased against Panasonic products and that he does like some other Panasonic products. I suspect that the reason he says this is that he expects a backlash from GH3 fanboys, which is exactly what has happened.

I hope you can see the difference between admitting what you are saying is only an opinion and trying claim your opinion is fact.

I think most of us can tell the difference.

To everyone else, the more I read the review the funnier it gets. He says, "Finally, there’s the size issue. I just can’t figure out why the GH3 has to be so much larger than the OM-D when ostensibly, it contains the same innards. " Of course most complaints about the EM5 seem to be about the small buttons, virtually no grip, lack of a built-in flash, etc.

Seriously? He can't figure out why some people might want a larger camera with a more comfortable grip? In the other forums (Nikon/Canon DSLR) some think the GH3 is still too small. Heck, in the Oly DSLR forum many love the size of the E-5 and dislike smaller camera. Different people like different things.

Ming Thein actually says that he likes the grip on the GH3.

However, increasing the size of a camera does not necessarily improve its ergonomics. Sony manages to get a decent little grip onto some of its tiny NEX cameras, for example.

In the case of the GH3, Ming Thein says specifically that its increased size has not improved its ergonomics because the controls suck.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow