7D mk2: apsc’s last stand?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,710
Re: APS-C's last stand? Hardly

Big companies can make big mistakes.  Witness Kodak which tried to believe their semi monopoly with film would last forever.  Statements from the Canon VP seem to indicate Canon is expecting FF to take over the market for any serious photographer.  IMO, that would be a big mistake for Canon.  There will always be some macho types who go for big and impressive.  There will always be some pros who need the most capable cameras especially for studio work when size is not important.

I think most of us would prefer small and light weight cameras.  As camera technology continues to improve it seems that we are reaching the point of diminishing returns.  Certainly that happened with computer technology.  As computer technology advanced, we no longer needed to keep upgrading and we no longer needed or wanted big systems.  I think the same thing will happen with camera technology.  Why go bigger and heavier and geometrically more expensive if it is hard to see any difference in final image quality?

I am sure Canon would like to continue to sell big, expensive systems.  That may become wishful thinking.  APS-C, 4/3rds and smaller is more likely to be the long term trend.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow