Medium Format Backs

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
sporry Junior Member • Posts: 46
Medium Format Backs

Hi Guys,

I have an old c/m500 hasselblad camera, and I was thinking of going into Digital MF.
I am aware of the Phase One brand, and Leaf, and a friend of mine uses an old Kodak DCS Pro Back on a Mamiya, and produces great results with that.
First of all, from a practical standpoint, I won't be able to afford the latest/greatest Digital Backs, because they cost a mortgage. So although I am definitely interested in a discussion about their capabilities, My interest probably leans more towards cheaper/older/second hand Digital Backs.

The rumour that I picked up was that MF DBs have a significantly higher dynamic and tonal range than 35mm Ful Frame sensors, like the 5Dmk2 (my current dSLR). Is that actually true? or probably I should ask, to what extend is that true? Would a Kodak DCS Pro Back perform better than a 5Dmk2 Sensor, or would I have to get something like a P40 or P60 to see some improvements?

By the way, I have a 5Dmk2 and an X-Pro1, so that's my current standard that I hope to exceed with MF.

I'd also be interested in hearing what other MF DBs are on the market and how they perform.

Some of the brands/models I've heard of so far (but know little about:

• Kodak DCS Pro plus
  • Hasselblad CFV-19 and 39
  • P20(+), P45
  • Leaf Aptus
  • Mamiya ZD (admitted, that would be a whole new systems)
  • Sinar

Ther emay very well be others on the market.

Also, if I do plan to buy one second hand, what are the things to look out for and/or ask about? Any common failures? Generic tips? etc...

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Coolpix P60
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow