best wide angle lens for landscape

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209
Re: best wide angle lens for landscape

FumbleDuck wrote:

I'm using the Canon 10-22mm with the metabones adapter. The main advantages for me were:

1) Excellent flare resistance for landscapes. Admittedly I dont know how the Sony 10-18 performs in this regard but the Canon is a proven winner. Best flare resistance of any other Crop zoom UWA as far as I know.

The Sony 10-18mm can flare a little with bright sun in the frame, but usually the flare is small and the lens maintains high contrast. Sometimes there is no flare even with the sun in the frame, and it doesn't seem to flare at all with the sun outside the frame.

I'd personally favor the Sony 10-18mm over an adapted SLR lens because of the weight. I have a Sigma 8-16mm, and it's one of the best UWA zooms on the market. It's also history for me because it's too heavy to carry around everywhere. The Sony lens is better optically I'd say, and just 225g which is only a little more than the LA-EA2 adapter. The Sigma 8-16mm is another half kilogram or so on top of that.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow