best wide angle lens for landscape

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,303
Re: best wide angle lens for landscape

mfouks wrote:

I have a NEX 7 with the kit lens. I am looking for a really good landscape lens -could be prime or zoom. Is the Zeiss 24mm lens considered the best or is there something better. I don't mind waiting if there is something new coming up. I believe there is a 10-18 zoom but I'm not sure it is very good.

Thanks,

Marsha

First off, if you use the kit lens for landscape, ie. FL between 20-28 and aperture between f/5.6 and f/8, the kit lens will be pretty respectable. Unless you print very large, you may not see that dramatic, if any, difference between the kit lens and a prime or landscape-zoom lens.

So, I guess that you are either looking for wider (than 20mm) or lenses that work well between f/2.8 and f/4.0.

First off, do consider the Sigma 19. It works well on the Nex-7 and gives you that wider view.

The E1018 10-18mm zoom is a good lens, but on the Nex-7 it has magenta issues, and requires post-processing.

There is a pancake E20 coming out, but we don't know the IQ of it yet. I would definitely keep this one in mind too, the rumor is that it will work with the ECU and ECF adapters, so it can be converted to a 15mm lens (with unknown IQ as well).

Other options are the E16, with or without the ECU and ECF adapters. This lens works well if you can keep it around f/5.6 to f/8.

Zeiss will be introducing their announced 12mm/f2.8 lens very soon.

The Sigma 19 and the E16 are the most economical options.

If you go with a Nex-6, there is a plethora of high IQ WA RF lenses available, (Voitglander, Leica, Zeiss, Contax), most of which are actually a bit cheaper than the E1018 or Zeiss 12mm, but I wouldn't recommend these for the Nex-7.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow