Mysterious Moving Rock (E-M5/7-14)

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,351
What a wonderful photo - MANY reasons

kenw wrote:

It has been a year since I've been able to take a picture of anything other than my daughter. Past week was out in Death Valley with my brother and nephew. Not really a photo trip, but I one evening I was able to be out at twilight in a nice location with my camera. Result below. This is one of the "moving rocks" on Racetrack Playa in the NW part of the park. Their motion has long been a "mystery", or more accurately a subject of debate. It mostly comes down to slippery mud and very strong wind. C&C always welcome and appreciated (and feel free to actually be critical if you want, no offense will be taken).

I'll be visiting Death Valley in the summer (yes, summer, don't tell me, I know...) of this year.

And I will be over the moon if I return home with one single image half as good as this one.

Many reasons:

* darkness prevails, but we see just enough

* the lizard-skin texture of the ground is visible perfectly

* the phenomenon of the moving rock is illustrated vividly

* the horizon is a stark black silhouette line on the bottom and a nice curvy shape above, in pure black, like the silhouette of someone resting there

* gorgeous colour in the evening sky, complementing perfectly the hues of the ground

* the long part of the track (not the sudden shift to the right) is a great leading line towards the exact spot where the sun has gone to rest for the night, opening a time frame of darkness and more mystery.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow