Ming Thein reviews the GH3

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,513
Re: Ming Thein reviews the GH3

jalywol wrote:

PS: The GH3, in real world results, is noticeably better than the GH2, G3, etc. (all of which I have used, some of which extensively). It and the OMD are really on a par, and are both fine cameras, quite a leap ahead of earlier M43 in their rendering capabilities (and this from someone who still really likes the GH2)....but in head to head comparisons, the GH3 just simply produces nicer images, and much easier image files to work with in PP, too.

As a GH2 owner, with a GH3 (alas!) backordered, I'm pleased to read what you say re GH3 vs. OM-D IQ. The studio samples here at DPR suggest to me the Oly produces somewhat cleaner images at higher ISOs than does the GH3.

IQ aside, I chose the GH3 for all the reasons Ming denigrates it:

• I like the size, particularly for use with my 14-140 and 100-300 lenses. My GH2 seems a bit too small. The OM-D is probably fine with short primes, but not for me with larger lenses
  • The Panasonic menu system has always seemed to me one of the best. In the short time I owned an E-PL3 I was always getting surprised by its settings.
  • Fully articulated LCD panel is another plus. With the GH2 I normally keep it turned in toward the camera for protection and don't use the touch control features; may be different with GH3

If the GH3 IQ is even as good, or nearly as good, as images I've seen from the OM-D I'll be pleased with my choice.

p.s. -- nice times we live in: Ming calls XXX to 1600 "Low ISO", and he's right. I remember when digicams topped out at 400 and I couldn't use it!

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow