Ming Thein reviews the GH3

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 422
Re: Ming Thein reviews the GH3

joe talks photography wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Bottom line, essentially the same image quality as the E-M5, but he does not like the "UI and overall control logic: it just doesn’t feel like a well-thought out product, and isn’t at all intuitive in use."

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/03/17/panasonic-lumix-gh3/

Given the great history of the GH series for video, his comments on the GH3 might and/or should be a concern for videographers. Then again, he doesn't seem to have a strength with video. Nor do I since camcorder days...with zero interest in it in my cameras!

On the menus, I have owned many a Panasonic G series camera and the menus are in-depth but they aren't really quickly assessible in the field so I would agree with reviewer to the extent that the Panasonic menus could be 'massaged' some to improve on them.

Lastly, I cannot see me owning one. Aside from size, the cost of the E-M5 is already a tad more than I would spend on a camera for the m43 system. For an equivalent amount of $$$ one could improve image potential with an APS-C model. Admittedly, I prefer m43 and its many great lenses. This may well cause me to move to the E-M5 after all!

-- hide signature --

Joe

As a GH3 owner........ the 5 custom function buttons + other fixed control buttons and dials mean accessing the menu while shooting is not something that needs to be done much. APS-C has marginal still image quality advantages over M43 in some circumstances with some cameras IME - if you want significant image quality gains you need to go full frame and then put up with the extra bulk and weight. For a compact body that does top class stills AND has video capability that can't be matched unless you spend on some serious pro dedicated video camera gear the GH3 is unique.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow