DxOMark's measured ISOs vs. manufacturer ISOs

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,275
Re: DxOMark's measured ISOs vs. manufacturer ISOs

Jack Hogan wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

For a valid test using dxo ISO, you say I should use camera iso of 3200 on the OM-D and 1600 on the G3. Why wouldn't I just use the 1600 on the OM-D as well and reap the benefit of running a lower iso

You could, but then you would not be recording the same tonal range, breaking your photographer's intent and therefore no longer comparing apples to apples.

(and enjoy being able to meter correctly too)?

This discussion has nothing to do with metering. Meter as you please to achieve your objectives of best IQ possible given blur, dof and highlight retention photographic constraints. It's about comparing cameras/sensors apples to apples.

Jack

Well you would generally have more tonal range, less noise, and therefore a better image, yes? How is that a bad thing, as a photographer? First time I've heard of a photographer running a higher iso than needed for the purpose of "photographic intent". Tell me more.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow