Canon PowerShot G1 review

Started Aug 10, 2001 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 23,234
Canon PowerShot G1 review

I've had the G1 for two months and have shot about 1000
photos with it. It's a terrific camera that's great fun to use.
It is not perfect, and could be improved in many areas, specifically ergonomics (grip), chromatic abberations, metering and focusing problems in certain situations. But I'm sure all digicams have similar problems. There are workarounds to any problem and with a little effort anyone can be taking beautiful photos almost immediately. Because it is a digital camera any problems or errors can be seen immediately and corrected. Hence, I end up with better pictures in the long run than with my fancy film SLR.

The flexible swivel LCD is fantanstic, and I seriously doubt if I could be happy with ANY camera that has a "fixed position only" LCD -- it is that crucial to the fun and ease of taking pictures. This is probably the most important feature of this camera, and puts it above the rest.

You can see some photos I took in the first few weeks of using the G1:

http://www.pbase.com/skanter/inbox

I would recommend a 1G microdrive and 420EX flash as soon as you can afford them.

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Canon PowerShot G1
3 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 34 – 102 mm (3×)
Announced: Sep 18, 2000
skanter's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow