Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P5 review

Started Nov 15, 2001 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Mark Stiebel Regular Member • Posts: 310
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P5 review

In summary, an excellent purchase
Before buying a DC, I spent some time playing with a friend's Canon IXUS, and was intent on that. Then I borrowed my sisters DSC-P1 for a couple of days, and my mind changed quite quickly. Although more expensive than the IXUS, I believe the P5 is worth it.

I bought a DC so I can take a camera with me when I don't want to lug around my SLR, so size was an important factor. The P5 beats IXUS here because the shape is more versatile for fitting into pockets et al.

Features that are worth mentioning:
* Solid construction
* User interface is very good
* The AF illuminator

Another thing that attracted me to this camera was the easy availability of the underwater case. Although I haven't yet dived with it enough to properly comment.

Some of the available features seem to be bloat-ware for onboard the camera, but I suppose they don't hurt being there:
* Picture effects - B/W,sepia,neg,solarise - why not just do them on the PC?
* Digital zoom and copy,trim,resize - although can be handy

Problems:

As others have noted, if recording movies in a quiet environment, a clicking sound is recorded. I presume this is also why the zoom is disabled during movie recording. Although it would be nice to have digital zoom available.

It's good to see features such as exposure control, ISO setting, manual focus available, but Sony have opted for a case less cluttered with buttons, creating a hassle to change these features with having through the menu.

Battery life does leave a little to be desired, but for such a small, light battery it performs very well. Carrying a second battery is minimal hassle.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P5
3 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 39 – 117 mm (3×)
Announced: Aug 21, 2001
Mark Stiebel's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow