Kodak DX3700 review

Started Nov 26, 2001 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Ken Phillips Forum Pro • Posts: 16,364
Kodak DX3700 review

I bought this unit because the store I was in had a 22% off sale! I purchased it just for eBay and web photos, as I wanted a Canon D30 or 1D. I also purchased a couple of 64MB MM cards, as the internal memory is only 8MB. (Still, that will allow several photos without any memory card!)
The camera is rated at 3.1 megapixels BUT ... it won't save the picture without some compression, so the images all work out to be about 850KB in the highest quality mode. Also, the only zoom is digital ... which is like no zoom at all, as far as I am concerned. It has an 'email' setting, which takes lower res/higher compression pictures. The autofocus works as advertised, as does the autoflash. If you turn off the flash you can take usable photos in ordinary room light.
The macro mode is great for closeups of people, or those knick-knacks destined for the electronic auction.
http://home.fuse.net/flying/zebra.jpg
Because it is a viewfinder camera, you must switch on the video preview for framing your subject. You can also turn on a quick view, for after-shot save/delete decisions. The camera dumps low-res photos at about one per second; the highest resolution takes several seconds per picture.
Good bang for the buck, lacking only a useful zoom. Several samples at different resolutions can be found at http://home.fuse.net/flying/kodak.htm

Problems:

The included software works like a charm, but conflicts with my HP ScanJet software on the same machine. The Kodak software always works, but I must remove it from memory in order to keep the scanner from freezing up.

Kodak DX3700
3 megapixels • 1.6 screen • 37 mm
Announced: Aug 14, 2001
Ken Phillips's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow