Olympus C-4040 Zoom review

Started Apr 25, 2002 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
khairil anuar New Member • Posts: 9
Olympus C-4040 Zoom review

I've taken more than 500 pictures with this camera and most of the them turned out excellent. The low-light / indoor / night scene shooting is exceptional. I also like the way Olympus maintains the Camedia design throughout its history beginning with the C2000Z. Some quarters commented that the design is outdated but IMHO, if the design has been appealing and popular, why fix it (the analogy is not unlike the popular Porsche 911). The use of ordinary AA batteries is also a plus point.

Problems:

Minor glitches like: -
1) len's cap issue
2) occurance of chromatic aberrations is quite high.
3) A/S/M can be made separate on the dial
4) Many features had to be accessed via the use of LCD. Most digicam in the market are apparently made this way. This is not good for the battery life and it also slows thing down a little bit.
5) I still wish the viewfinder can be linked TTL instead of its slight offset viewing. Inaccuracy of the viewfinder is a little bit on the highside.
6) Panorama mode is only available when using the proprietery Olympus smartmedia card. The Oly card is expensive.
7) only FL-40 falsh(?) can be used according to the manual. This is choice limiting.
8) noisy zoom lens. wish there could be an external mic connection.
9) would love to see more info to be added to the control panel. e.g. actual compensation's figure should be shown instead of seeing a simple +/- symbol. Apparently one have to look at the LCD for the actual figure. A minus point.

Olympus C-4040 Zoom
4 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 35 – 105 mm (3×)
Announced: Jun 20, 2001
khairil anuar's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow