Olympus C-5050 Zoom review

Started Dec 4, 2002 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,065
Olympus C-5050 Zoom review

I've used the C-5050 extensively for a week now and I'm quite impressed. This is a back-up to my E-20 and I wish some of the 5050's features were on the E-20. There is an extensive and - in my opinion - quite accurate review of the 5050 at http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-rev.html . Like the author of the review, I don't see any noise to speak of. If you're new to digital, get used to some noise - it's a fact of life.

The build quality of the 5050 is exceptional - I was pleasantly surprised, it's a little like holding the E-20 without all the weight.

The 5050 has more features than most of us will ever need - it's not perfect but it's close.

Comparing image quality to my E-20 images, again I'm very impressed.

Ease of use - that's pretty subjective. My last back-up camera was the C-4040 so the menus were very familiar. After only a week I find it nearly second nature to change any setting on the camera. But the options are quite extensive with all the features so I would not recommend the camera for a first-time digital user or a point 'n shooter. If you shoot snapshots - buy something for half the price and spend the savings on your mate for Christmas.

As to value for the money - when did that become an issue??? Seriously, after researching the 5050 and the competition, I didn't hesitate to buy.

Problems:

One minor quirk - I keep a tripod head quick-release plate on my cameras all the time. The location of the 5050's tripod socket causes the plate to partially cover the battery compartment. Removing the plate every time I change batteries is an irritation I could do without.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Olympus C-5050 Zoom
5 megapixels • 1.8 screen • 35 – 105 mm (3×)
Announced: Aug 19, 2002
nevada5's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow