Minolta DiMAGE 2300 review
Overall the 2300 was good value for money. I bought it for 215 GBP when most other 2.3 mega pixel cameras were > 300 GBP. You can see some of my photographs at http://bsdbox.homeunix.com.
However, having used the camera for 18 months, I have become frustrated with a few minor design flaws. Firstly, the 2300 battery life is poor. I have resorted to using Nickel Hydride (Ni MH) rechargeable batterries - these give a few days frequent use (avoiding use of the LCD preview screen).
I have also found a noticeable degree of 'pincushion' effect on bright outdoor photos (particularly with sky backdrops - the image becoming darker at the edges).
The biggest frustration has to be the poor indoor performance of the flash. It has a very small effective range (usually about five feet) and the resulting pictures are under-exposed. To address this, I have to alter the ISO setting to high and set the exposure setting to +1.5. However, the camera does not retain these settings when it is switched off! The red-eye setting also has to be manually selected each time the camera is powered up, making indoor photography very slow and cumbersome.
As I said at the beginning of this review I've had good value for money, but the lack of configuration retention and poor indoor performance of the camera is a major problem to me. You also have to question Minolta's dubious product support policy (no software updates for the image transfer software). I'll be purchasing a new camera this year - and it won't be a Minolta.
* - Poor battery life.
* - Under-exposed indoor shots.
* - Slight optical pincushion on outdoor shots.
* - Inability to retain current camera configuration.
* - No Software updates for 2000/XP - dubious policy.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%