Minolta DiMAGE Z1 review

Started Jan 1, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
anothercameraperson Junior Member • Posts: 47
Minolta DiMAGE Z1 review

Loads of features for the money, high quality images, but cheap construction and minimal battery life make its usefulness questionable.

Problems:

Battery life. Once purchased, just to use them, I inserted the 4 supplied alkaline batteries. As mentioned by others, the door enabling access to the battery compartment is flimsy at best, and even with great care I don't see it holding up through years of use. (Same for the door leading to the memory card and cables jack). Especially when batteries need to be replaced ever half hour or so. After using up the alkalines in 40 minutes, I placed 100% charged 2200 mA (high capacity) NiMH batteries, and got just 30 minutes of use. And this was with the autofocus mostly off! I recharged the NiMHs again, and again got 30 minutes. Repeated this sequence three more times, same results. To make things worse, there was no warning of a low battery at any time.

This is a real shame, as the camera is flexible, and even offers quality videos (at about 1 MB per minute in 640 x 320 pixels).

So, no matter how good the camera is otherwise, I just can't see myself going out with 16 batteries just to get 2 hours worth of use. I would not recommend it to a friend, unless this person had a portable generator at all times. I returned it after two days, as I could not get past this battery thing.

Minolta DiMAGE Z1
3 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 38 – 380 mm (10×)
Announced: Aug 7, 2003
anothercameraperson's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow