Minolta DiMAGE Z1 review

Started Jan 1, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
andrew trimble New Member • Posts: 19
Minolta DiMAGE Z1 review

Happy New Year - What I like about the Z1

- Long zoom (x10 optical and x4 digital - 35mm equivalent is 38mm to 380mm)
- image quality very good
- fast auto exposure
- very light compared to a 35mm camera with zoom lenses
- easy to find your way around the camera
- viewfinder is accurate on close ups (unlike the optical viewfinder on older digital cameras)
- good value for money, features and quality are what I expected. Although it is not perfect it suits my needs at a reasonable price
- I also bought a 256mb SD card, about right for a couple of days of photos for me. Average picture size is 1.5mb (fine) and I take about 70-80 a day on location
- the second addon I got was a Uniross Ultra fast charger with two sets of 2100mh Ni-MH AA batteries, first set lasted for 150 pictures over 2 days (several hours not minutes)
- With USB lead linking camera and computer I don't need a card reader to download images
- I have had no problem with the lens cap, card cover, the lens or battery life

You can see my pictures of Hampton Court Palace at: http://www.trimble.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gallery2/hampton.htm

Problems:

The things I am still getting to grips with:

- focusing in low light and some macro settings - some photos not as sharp as I would like yet
- choosing the right setting in program modes
- light flare on screen when shooting against the light
- getting used to the switch between the screen and the viewfinder
- Remember to carry the spare batteries in my pocket!

and finally:

- why some Z1 owners moan about a camera that they have chosen and then send it back after two days and buy something else. If it doesn't work get it fixed, that's what the warranty is for. If you want better build quality and better features then buy a Dimage A1 and pay about 400 (UK pounds) more.
- If you are thinking about buying this camera, it suits your needs and you can afford it the postives far outshine the few negative comments, go ahead and buy it

Minolta DiMAGE Z1
3 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 38 – 380 mm (10×)
Announced: Aug 7, 2003
andrew trimble's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow