Nikon D70 review

Started Apr 1, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
jberth Contributing Member • Posts: 816
Nikon D70 review

Picked up mine on the 18/03/2004 and I'm finally posting a brief review after using it for 2 weeks.

The 18-70 AFS wasn't available when I picked up the body, so I've been using my D70 with a 24-120 D lense.

First thing I noticed was the field of view crop - the 24mm becomes a 36mm, and I really miss the wide field of view. First upgrade - buy the 18-70 lense!

Second thing - the D70 is fast - for its price range. I'm comparing it to an F601, but the autofocus is sooo much faster, with less hunting as well. The startup time is non-existent, and the shutter lag also is virtually zero. Much quicker than a 300D by comparison.

Image quality - sensational. Very little noise, and since I'm not taking any pics of buildings for a living, any moire doesn't concern me. This is an amateur camera, at an amateur (for a DSLR) price. Everyone should get over any potential moire problems, and buy a professional level model if they wish to use it professionally!

Little things I love -
ability to swap ISO on the fly - a little thing, but magic.
Variable colour pallettes - use the 3a settings for a little bit of the Velvia affect, swap back to 1a for portraits - superb.
Focus assist light - fantastic.
Very easy to understand all controls - I was up and running in a matter of minutes after charging the battery - very intuitive.

I could go on, but I'd rather go and continue using this beauty!!!

Problems:

Battery warning seems very short - ie: there doesn't seem to be very much time between when you first notice that the battery is fading, and when it becomes unusable. On the plus side here, at least it fades progressively, in that you first loose the review function, maintaining the ability to fire off shots until the battery drains completely.

Having to use a menu option instead of a physical switch to alter between af-s and af-c is a let down.

Builtin flash underexposes

Nikon D70
6 megapixels • 1.8 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Jan 28, 2004
jberth's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow