Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 review

Started Oct 13, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Rob13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 review

There are a lot good things to like about this camera.

The zoom is fantastic.
The camera's menu system is one of the easiest, compared to my experience with Sony, Olympus, & Canon.
The Electronic viewfinder is bright and clear; however don't expect a high quality image; its funcitonal.

The continuous shooting mode enables you to continuously take pictures and when you release the trigger, the camera saves the last 5 images; great for ensuring you got the "right" picture.

Now to the cons:

You have to consider that a camera with a 12x Optical zoom will have a great deal of trade-offs.

1. You need lots of light when shooting, if you intend on printing out an 8"x10" or A4 photo
2. Shots at >ISO 50 are going to be grainy.

The lack of a focus assist for flash photography means that for very poorly lit situations, you will have to use the manual focus otherwise you are wasting your time.

The camera does heat up quite a bit after being on for several minutes; however nothing compared to the Apple Titanium Powerbooks from a few years ago.

The last item is that you have to pull the flash up manually, which if this were an SLR, then I don't mind the hassle of carrying around an external flash, however, this is only a point and shoot zoom with a very slow lens.

Problems:

The camera hangs occasionally even after downloading the updated firmware from Minolta; however just take out the batteries and I haven't lost any pictures from the SD card yet, knock on wood.

The camera shape is quite bulkly. The Olympus 740 or 750 is easier to lug around. Having said that the Olympus doesn't have the Anti-shake feature.

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3
4 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 35 – 420 mm (12×)
Announced: Jul 7, 2004
Rob13's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow