Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 review

Started Oct 13, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Rob13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 review

I've had this camera for over a year.

I also just picked up a Konica Minolta Z3 for a bit of fun with its 12x Optical lens. The Minolta menu is much easier to get used to and navigate around than this one. Having said that, this menu is easier than the tiny menu on the Canon IXUS 400.

The Sony menu allows you a great deal of flexibility. If you are looking for a point and shoot, or continually take pictures in the Auto Mode then don't waste your money on this camera. While it functions well as a point and shoot, there are a lot of less expensive camera which also have fewer features.

The laser assisted night focusing ensures perfectly focused shots in "pitch black" conditions.

Cycle time is great in between shots.
I usually shoot at the 4.5 megapixal setting so I don't have to crop off so much picture when I print the photos.

The telephoto and the wide angle are great additions if you don't mind lugging them around.

On the negative side, although you get accustomed to the unusual flash location; if friends take pictures with your camera, they inevitably put their finger on top of the flash; preventing it from being used.

Memory sticks are more costly than storage media used by other manufacturers.

Problems:

No problems. A great camera. Pictures are sharp and clear 99% of the time. This compares well over the KonicaMinolta Z3 which is very noisy at ISO settings greater than 50.

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1
5 megapixels • 1.5 screen • 34 – 136 mm (4×)
Announced: Feb 24, 2003
Rob13's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow