Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) review

Started May 21, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Bruce W Roeser New Member • Posts: 9
Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) review

I purchased the 350D because I wanted to have more control over my picture taking and the higher resolution afforded by an SLR (in general).

The XT is an excellent digital SLR. The image quality produced is outstanding as is its functionality. If you're looking for a DSLR that won't break your budget but give you professional quality this one is it.

Problems:

In general the camera is of very high quality. I found no major flaws in it - except for one thing that made me return it and also reminded me of the problems associated with SLR's. Simply stated - dust control.

I had the camera for a little over a week when I noticed that the focus screen had started accumulating some dust particles. I found this odd since I had not changed the lens (or had it off the body) at all. I took the unit back to the camera store where the guy tried to blow the dust out - but it had accumulated ABOVE the focusing screen. Since this camera doesn't allow you to remove the focusing screen (like my old Olympus OM-1 used to do) there was no hope in removing the dust. In fact, after his session with the camera it got worse.

If I were using multiple lenses with the camera (like a pro might) then I might accept a certain amount of dust accumulation as par-for-the-course. However I bought the unit hoping to not have these problems since I was happy with the "kit" lens that came with it.

Instead I have on order the Power Shot PRO-1 which provides the same general functionality and feature set (for $300 less even) than the Rebel XT does - but it won't suffer from the dust problem. I was looking for an all-in-one solution for my photography and was frustrated that even without changing lenses the flapping mirror stirs up dust (that I wouldn't have expected should even be in there yet!) and clutters up the viewfinder. Not good.

For anyone else who might be looking for a single-device solution I do not recommend going DSLR if you are looking for a maintenance-free device to just use until you wear it out. SLR's always have been slightly higher maintenance; I should have known better.

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N)
8 megapixels • 1.8 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 17, 2005
Bruce W Roeser's score
Average community score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow